It’s my goal every year to get something green past my roommate’s lips. We joke about how picky an eater she is, and so I’ve made it my mission to get some healthy stuff in her every once in awhile. A couple years ago, I hooked her with avocados and pistachios, and last year, I even got her to try brussel sprouts! As this year is getting closer and closer to over, I was searching for a creative way to get her to eat something green. Thanks to my CSA share, I had a huge bag of spinach and some squash. After some Pinterest searching, I found the perfect way to get her to eat something green without having to chew it. Of course, I can’t take complete credit for the recipe, as it’s yet another one I’ve adapted from one I’ve found online. Thanks to Karina at cafedelites.com for the base recipe.
Without further ado, what you’re all here for – the recipe!
Squash and Spinach Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion (optional – I omitted it because of my sensitivity to onions)
- Water enough to cover veggies in the pot
- 1 cup veggie broth (or chicken if you aren’t vegan)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or milk (or dairy cream/milk if you aren’t vegan)
- 4 cups spinach, washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra cream to garnish
- Place squash, potatoes, carrots (and onion if using) into pot and fill with water to cover veggies. Salt to season. Bring water to a boil and reduce to simmer to cook veggies until fork tender, probably about ten minutes.
- Pour out a little water and add vegetable broth. Add salt to your taste if not salty enough.
- Add spinach leaves and push down into broth to wilt leaves.
- Use either a blender or immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. Add coconut milk and stir.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut cream on top!
If you aren’t vegan, the original recipe calls for adding bacon – which I would highly recommend because YUM!
This recipe was super super easy, quick and delicious! Even my picky eater roommate had TWO bowls of the soup! If you try it, tell me – I’d love to hear from you! Or even better, show me! Post a picture on Instagram and tag me (@journeytoloving.me) I’d love to connect with others as they travel a path of wellness!